Manage Money

Documents Required to Apply PAN Card Application
Total rating: 0

The identification proofs issued by the government require a set of documents to validate an individual/entity's identity. Application for PAN, too, requires a set of documents to support an individual or company's identity. You'll need to submit either of the two types of forms if you wish to apply for a PAN card, Form 49A and Form 49AA.

Form 49A is the PAN application form meant for Indian citizens and Form 49AA is the application form for foreign citizens. If you've lost your PAN card or wish to make any corrections to your PAN, then you can give an application for the correction or reprint of a new PAN card Documents that are required for each type of entity are different. For individual entities, the documents required for applying for PAN is different from the documents required by the foreigners to apply for PAN

List of documents required by a citizen of India to apply for PAN

Documents that can be submitted as identity proof are:

  • Voter ID card
  • Ration card
  • Passport
  • Driver's License
  • Arm's license
  • Aadhar card issued by Unique Identification Authority of India
  • Photo ID issued by any public sector institution/organization
  • Any central Government-issued health scheme card
  • Attested bank certificate with bank account number of the PAN applicant
  • Pension card with photograph of the applicant
  • Identity certificate signed by MP/MLA or any Municipal Councillor

To apply for PAN card for a minor any of these identity proofs can be submitted that belong to the minor or his/her parents.

Address Proof Required to Apply for PAN Card by an Individual who is a Citizen of India

You can submit the copy of the following documents in the form of address proof:

  • Utility bills
  • Credit card statement
  • Passbook issued by the Post office
  • Bank account statement
  • Passport
  • Passport of spouse
  • Voter-ID card with photograph
  • Order from Income Tax Assessment
  • Driver's License
  • State-government issued domicile certificate
  • Allotment letter

Proof of Age required for PAN Card Application by an Individual who is a Citizen of India

Proof of age is also a relevant document for individuals applying for PAN. So, any document that verifies your birth-date could be used to claim your age.

  • Birth Certificate issued by Municipal Authority
  • Order of pension payment
  • Marriage certificate claiming your age
  • Matriculation certificate
  • Passport
  • Driver's License
  • Domicile certificate issued by the state-government
  • An affidavit signed by the magistrate stating the birth date

Documents Required for PAN Application by a Foreigner

When a foreign businessman sets up his/her company in India, and a part of the company's revenue comes from the Indian market, he/she is eligible for paying taxes, and hence PAN is a mandatory document for them. However, this is not the only application of PAN, along with the filing of income tax, PAN facilitates the process of KYC. Here's a list of the copy of documents that are required as an identity proof for a foreign applicant

  • Passport
  • Person of Indian origin card issued by the Indian Government
  • OCI(Overseas Citizen of India) card issued by the Government of India
  • Any other citizenship or taxpayer identification number

Address Proof for PAN Card Application by a Foreign Citizen

The applicant can submit the copy of any of these documents to claim their residence proof

  • Passport
  • Overseas citizenship card issued by Government of India
  • Any other national or citizenship Identification Number or taxpayer identification number in the country where the applicant is residing
  • Bank account statements in India
  • Visa granted by the foreign officials

Documents Required for HUF(Hindu Undivided Family) PAN Application

Hindu Undivided Families are units of joint families where the family business is shared between the members of the family. The PAN for an HUF is attributed to the entire family and not just one individual.

The documents required to apply for PAN by a Hindu Undivided Family is the same as any other organization or company that is based in India. The Hindu Undivided Family is required to choose a karta who looks after all the financial transactions of the entire unit.

Along with the common documents that are required for PAN, the additional documents that need to be submitted by a HUF are:

Apart from the common documents linked with the residence and identity proof, the HUF need to submit a declaration by the karta stating the father's name and address of the HUF members. The above listed documents that are applicable for individual applicants must be submitted by the karta as well to complete the PAN application process.

Documents required by a company to apply for PAN

The primary document that is required by any company registered in India, for the purpose of PAN application is the copy of the Registration Certificate issued by the Government. For a company registered outside India, the documents required are-

  • Certificate of registration issued for Firms' Registrar
  • Partnership deed
  • Registration Certificate issued in India by the Indian authorities.

Documents required by a Limited Liabilities Partnership Firm to apply for PAN

Limited Liabilities Firms run on the principle that no partner of the firm is responsible for the negligence of the other partners. The documents that needs to be submitted by the Limited Liabilities Partnership firms to apply for PAN are:

  • Registration Certificate issued by the Registrar of LLP firm
  • Partnership Deed