A learner's license is the official document which authorizes the holder to acquire the skill of driving, supervised by a person who has a permanent driving license. The learner's license (LLR) is valid only for six months. This validity cannot be extended, except for dire situations when the license holder is ill and is thus unable to apply for a permanent license.
Bihar Motor Vehicle Department
Apart from maintaining a smooth road transport mechanism, the Bihar Motor Vehicle Department also issues driving licenses - both learner’s permit and permanent driving license to the residents of the state. Bihar has more than 50 RTOs through which the Motor Vehicles Acts and Rules are enforced in the state. Moreover, these RTOs also issue learner’s license in three days, provided that the applicant has cleared the test.
Learner’s License in Bihar - Requirements
The requirements for an LLR for a non-transport vehicle in Bihar are:
- The minimum age for a 50cc gearless motorcycle is 16 years.
- The minimum age of non-transport vehicles and motorcycles with gear is 18 years.
- A declaration form is to be submitted by the applicant’s parents or guardians for those below 18 years of age.
- Applicants above 50 years of age must submit the CMV Form issued by a registered medical practitioner.
The requirements for an LLR for a transport vehicle in Bihar are:
- The minimum age for commercial vehicle learner’s license is 20 years.
- The license can be obtained by individuals who wish to drive a bus, a taxi, an auto, goods carriers, and other commercial vehicles.
- The applicant should mandatorily have at least 1-year experience of driving a light motor vehicle (LMV).
- The applicants must submit CMV-Form 1A during the test; a registered doctor should issue the form.
Applying for Learner’s Licence
An applicant has to visit the RTO in person and fill in the required application form for a Learner's License. Alternatively, the applicant can visit the website of the Bihar Motor Vehicle Department and get the form there. The following steps can help in applying for a learner’s permit in Bihar:
- Visit the homepage of the Bihar Motor Vehicle Department website and select ‘Get New Learner License Appointment.’ The website will generate a form. The applicant must fill in the form with the required details like the applicant's name, age, address, date of application, the type of LLR required and jurisdictional RTO nearest to the applicant.
- Next, a slot for taking the test has to be chosen, after which the payment has to be made.
- The applicant must then visit the RTO in the jurisdiction. The application receipt, all the required documents - both original & attested photocopies and Form No. 2 must be submitted.
- All the original documents will be checked and verified by the RTO officials.
- The applicant should then take the test at the allotted time. It is an online computerized test. It aims to check the applicant’s competency as well as knowledge about traffic rules and regulations.
- An LLR will be issued on clearing the test.
Learner's Licence in Bihar - Documents Required
These documents are required for obtaining a learner’s license (LLR) in Bihar:
- Application (as per Form-2)
- Medical Certificate (as per Form 1-A)
- Self-declaration of physical fitness (as per Form-1)
- Required Fees
- 3 passport size photographs
- Address proof
- Age proof
- Approval letter from parents, in case the applicant is below 18 years of age.
A learner’s license or LLR is valid for six months only. The LLR holder must learn driving within this stipulated period and apply for a permanent license. Applicants are eligible to apply for a permanent driving license within 3 months of obtaining the learner’s license. In case the applicant is unable to clear the learner’s license test, he may take a retest after 7 days by visiting the RTO again.