Driving License is a vital document which is required by the citizens of the country who wish to drive any form of vehicles on public roads. DL has many functions apart from allowing people to drive on the roads. It also acts as an identity and address proof.
There are a number of rules that an individual needs to follow for applying for a DL, and these guidelines differ from state to state. In this page, we discuss the various norms which govern the procuring of DL in Tamil Nadu.
Types of Driving License in Tamil Nadu
The state of Tamil Nadu issues a range of licenses for people who seek to drive their vehicles on public roads. These licenses are broadly classified into transport and non-transport licenses.
The non-transport licenses are issued to people who seek a license for personal use. The drivers of non-commercial vehicles such as two-wheelers, private cars, and SUVs, etc. can use this license.
For two-wheelers, the minimum age requirement for acquiring a license is 16 years and for any other vehicle, the minimum age requirement is 18 years.
The applicant must specify the type of vehicle that he/she is applying the license for. Listed below are the different categories of non-transport license:
- Two-wheeler without a gear: Mopeds and Scooters
- Two-wheelers with gear: All types of motorcycles
- LMV (Light Motor Vehicle): includes small cars
If your vehicle isn't specified in any of the above categories then you can mention the type of vehicle separately.
These licenses authorize the owners to drive their vehicles commercially. The vehicles which are listed under the transport licenses according to the Tamil Nadu Transport authority are:
- LMV (Light Motor Vehicles): This includes autos, taxis, jeeps, mini-vans, etc.
- HMV (Heavy Motor Vehicles)- includes trucks, buses, and tractors.
Trailers can be availed by people who already own an HMV license.
It should be noted that the above categorization is comprehensive and more often there are sub-categories of these types of licenses.
Procedure to Fill the Driving License Application Form Online
The procedure for filling out an online application for a Learner’s License or Driving License is as follows:
- Visit the Sarathi website.
- Download the driving license application form.
- Fill up the form after carefully reading the instructions provided on the screen and click on ‘Submit.’
- Minor applicants must take a print out of the form and fill up Part D of the form which must be signed by the parent/guardian at the nearest RTO.
- After the document has been signed, you must upload the necessary documents along with the application form. The documents which are required to be submitted are described above.
- An application number is generated which can be used to track the application status.
- If the application has been processed, the applicant is notified through SMS.
How to Apply for a Driving License in RTO or Offline in India?
The method for applying for a Driving license in India is straightforward. You can follow the steps described below to understand how to apply for a Driving license offline:
- The applicant has to acquire Form 4, which is the application form for driving license in India. This Form can be downloaded from the official state transport website. Alternatively, the applicant may also visit the nearest RTO to obtain the form.
- Fill the application form and then submit it along with other documents such as address and age proof at RTO which comes under the jurisdiction /of the area where you live. Furthermore, you can schedule a slot for the Driving license test at RTO and pay the applicable fee for taking the test.
- Also, you must be present at your Driving license test center on the stipulated time and date. After you have cleared the test, your driving license will be granted on the spot, or it will be sent to your registered address.
- Besides, if you are taking a driving lesson from any Driving school, the school could help you in applying for a driving license.
Documents Required to Apply for Driving License in Tamil Nadu
To make sure that there's no lag in the application process, the documents that are required to be submitted must be valid. The list of documents which are required for acquiring a driving license are:
- PAN Card
- Birth Certificate
- 10th Class mark sheet
- Transfer certificate from any school (date of birth must be printed on the certificate
- House agreement
- Aadhar Card
- Electricity Bill
- LIC Bond
- Voter ID card
- Ration Card
- Current Address Proof
- Rental Agreement and Electricity Bill
- Rent Agreement and LPG Bill
Fee and Charges for applying for Driving License in Tamil Nadu
The applicant is required to make a payment of 250 rupees while applying for a Driving License in Tamil Nadu.
Driving License Renewal in Tamil Nadu
Usually, a Learner’s License in Tamil Nadu has a validity of six months. A permanent DL for motorcycles which don't have gears has a validity of 16 years and for LMV the validity is 18 years. You can get your expired license renewed from the nearest RTO office by following the procedure described below:
- Collect the application Form 9 from the nearest RTO office or download it from the official website of the state transport department.
- Along with the application form, the applicant will be needed to pay the necessary application fee and the documents for identification and address proof. You also must submit two recent passport size photographs.
- Medical Certificates as mentioned in Form 1 and Form 1A should be presented as well.
- The RTO can approve the DL renewal form and the new DL will be sent through post to the registered address.
How Can You Apply for Duplicate Driving License in Tamilnadu?
If an individual has lost his/her Driving License or wishes to apply for a duplicate Driving License, he/she can do so by submitting an LLD form to the local RTO. You can follow the steps which are described below to apply for a duplicate DL in Tamil Nadu.
- Procure the LLD form from the nearest RTO or download it from the state transport official website.
- The applicant will be then required to submit the passport sized photographs and necessary documents.
- If the applicant has filled out Form 7 to apply for a duplicate DL, then he/she can pay a fee of 40 rupees.
- The applicant will also be required to provide the original copy of the DL while applying for a duplicate copy.
How Can You Get an International Driving License in Tamilnadu?
To acquire an international driving license in Tamil Nadu, you can follow the steps described below:
- To procure an IDP or International Driving Permit, the applicant must submit a filled IDP where he/she acquired the DL.
- Along with IDP, the applicant will be required to produce necessary documents and recent passport size photographs.
- A nominal fee of 1000 rupees also must be paid by the applicant while submitting the IDP form.
- The application is approved and verified by the RTO and the IDP is sent to the registered address.