Driving a two-wheeler or a four-wheeler has been viewed as a symbol of freedom for a long time and it has now become a vital life skill. In times where riding your vehicle has become a necessity, owning a driving license also becomes essential. A Driving License is a formal document which has been issued by the Regional Transport Office which certifies that the holder is qualified enough to drive a motor vehicle. According to the Indian Motor Vehicle Act 1988, if an individual doesn't have a valid DL they can't drive on the public roads.
Each state has its process in India, the procedure of testing and the criteria for applying varies from state to state. Telangana state transport department has turned the procedure for applying for a DL very convenient.
What is the Eligibility Criteria to apply for a Driving License in Telangana?
For applying for a DL in Telangana, you must meet the following requirements:
- The applicant must be 18 years old for Light Vehicles and the individual must be 21 years old to get a license to drive a transport vehicle.
- An individual between 16-18 years old can get a license for two-wheelers that do not exceed a capacity of 50cc.
Documents Required to Apply for a Driving License in Telangana
If the candidate meets the eligibility requirements that are mentioned above, they must keep all the documents that are necessary handy. The list of the required document include:
- Passport size photograph
- Copy of PAN Card
- Copy of Medical Fitness Certificate
- Parent/Guardian's written consent with your date and signature (if the applicant is minor)
- Address Proof
- Birth Certificate
- Identity Proof
Types of Licenses in Telangana
Telangana State Government issues two types of driving Licenses:
An applicant has to acquire the Learner's License before applying for a Driving License. LL has a validity of six months and after it expires, the individual must either get it renewed or apply for a permanent DL.
After a month of receiving the LL, the applicant can apply for a DL. It must be noted that the applicant in no circumstances can apply for a Permanent DL before a month of owning the LL.
How Can You Apply for a Driving License in Telangana?
The process for acquiring a DL in Telangana is easy and straightforward. You can follow the easy steps given below to apply for DL in Telangana.
- The applicant must procure Form 4 (the application form for acquiring the license to drive a vehicle which can be acquired from the official website of Telangana transport or the local RTO.
- You must own a valid LL before applying for a permanent license.
- The individual also must present a medical certificate which has to be signed by a medical practitioner who has been authorized by the government.
- If you are applying for the license of a transport vehicle then you must submit Form 5.
- Along with the application, you must submit all the other necessary documents and the necessary fees for the process which should be submitted in the nearest RTO.
- A time slot is allotted to the applicant so that he/she can undergo the test. After passing the test, the candidate becomes eligible to obtain a permanent DL.
How to Renew a Driving License in Telangana Online?
You must keep a copy of these documents handy while renewing your DL:
- Form 9
- Form 1
- Form 1A
- Driving License
- Address Proof
- Passport size photograph
Steps to Renew Driving License
- The first step is to visit the official website of Telangana Transport.
- The next step is to navigate to the renewal link from the dashboard.
- Click on the link to book an online slot.
- In the succeeding page, you’ll be required to select renewal of License which falls under the Permanent License section.
- You will be redirected to the AOS or Automated Online Services.
- Tick on the renewal of License box and then click on OK.
- If you have an Original License then you have to select ‘Yes.’
- In the next step, provide all the necessary details along with your registered phone number.
- You’ll be receiving an OTP on your registered phone number.
- Provide the OTP and then click on Submit.
- Upload the filled out forms which include Form 1, Form 1A, passport photograph, DL and the address proof.
- Enter the captcha code and then click on Submit.
- Application is processed and the renewed license is issued via post to your given address.
Points to Remember
- A permanent DL generally expires within 20 years and its validity is mentioned on the card.
- If the card has expired the applicant has 30 days to renew his/her license.
- If the license owner renews within five years from the date of expiry, then he/she is exempted from the test, but the license is generally valid again from the date of renewal.
- You must keep a scanned photocopy of Form 1, Form 1A, DL, Address Proof and the passport size photograph.
- If you have been planning on applying for DL in Telangana, then you must follow these steps meticulously.