Madhya Pradesh registers the highest number of deaths due to horrific accidents as compared to all the other states in the country. Since the country is witnessing a high growth rate of vehicles and extensive urbanization since the last few years, the road safety levels have taken a major hit. Most often than not, it is the young population of the country that becomes a victim of these horrific road accidents hence causing substantial loss of life and productivity for the nation. To reduce the number of road accidents in the country, the government has made the rules for acquiring a DL in this country more stringent.
A license not only lets people drive on the public roads, but it also acts as an address and identification proof.
Types of Driving License in Madhya Pradesh
Madhya Pradesh State Government issues two types of Driving Licenses:
An applicant has to acquire the Learner's License before applying for a Driving License. LL has a validity of six months and after it expires the individual must either get it renewed or apply for a permanent DL.
After a month of receiving the Learner's License, the applicant can apply for a Permanent Driving License. It must be noted that the applicant in no circumstances can apply for a Permanent DL before a month of owning the LL.
Applicants who wish to make a driving license application in Madhya Pradesh can opt for one or more type of vehicle they want. Madhya Pradesh offers a driving license for a range of vehicle types, as specified below:
Light Motor Transport Vehicles
This license is given out to people who drive transport and commercial goods carriers, this section is further classified into Light Motor Vehicle (Passenger) like cabs, jeeps, delivery vans and auto rickshaws.
LMV-NT: Light Motor Vehicle Non-Transport
This includes vehicles that are privately owned by individuals like SUVs, Hatchbacks, etc.
Medium Goods Vehicle
This category consists of vehicles such as trucks, tempos and other goods transport vehicles.
Medium Passenger Vehicle
This class of vehicles includes transport such as minivans, tempos and larger commercial vehicles.
Heavy Goods Vehicle
This category of transport includes vehicles like trucks and large vans, that are meant to transport goods.
Documents Required for Acquiring Learner's License in Madhya Pradesh
To make sure that there's no lag in the application process, the documents that are required to be submitted must be valid. The documents required for acquiring a Learner's license are:
- PAN Card
- Birth Certificate
- 10th Class mark sheet
- Transfer certificate from any school (date of birth must be printed on the certificate)
- House agreement
- Aadhar Card
- Electricity Bill
- LIC Bond
- Voter ID card
- Ration Card
- Current Address Proof
- Rental Agreement and Electricity Bill
- Rent Agreement and LPG Bill
Documents Required For Applying for a Permanent License in Madhya Pradesh
- Form 4
- Necessary Application Fees
- Certificate of Competence
- Driving Certificate issued by a Driving School for applicants who wish to apply for transport vehicles
Test Procedure for Heavy Vehicle in Madhya Pradesh
Until 2014, obtaining a license for heavy vehicles such as buses, trucks, and lorries wasn't very difficult since the tests conducted were very relaxed. But, rules have become much more stringent and more structured these days. Applicants are required to be tested well on a track that is specifically designed for large vehicles. Till now, the RTOs of most of the states have kept these rules intact. But, there are many places across the country where the license can be procured much easily. More stringent tests mean that only people with excellent skills can operate the heavy vehicles on the public road which is essential for avoiding any accidents of public roads.
Light Motor Vehicle Test Sequence
These are the abilities that you will be evaluated on as a motorcar driver:
- Parallel Parking (alongside a car).
- Driving forward on an ‘H’ shaped road.
- Driving forward on a road that is upward sloping. The candidate should be able to drive upwards without stopping.
- Driving backward on an ‘S’ shaped road.
Two-Wheelers License Track Test
You must follow the procedure mentioned below to pass a two-wheeler license test:
- Visit the RTO in the allotted time with your Learner's License.
- You also must possess the receipt for the payment that you have made for taking the DL test.
- You must report at the Registration desk of the RTO before the allotted time.
- The officer will be using the SARATHI software database to verify the applicant's ID, LL, and other documents. Your thumbprint will also be verified as a part of the identification verification.
- The candidate will be given an authorization if he/she is found to be eligible.
Driving License Renewal Procedure
If an individual's DL is about to expire, it is necessary for the license holder to apply for license renewal 30 days before the expiry date is reached. Renewal for licenses one month after the expiry can attract a fine of 250 rupees.
How Can You Apply for Duplicate Driving License?
If an individual has lost his/her Driving License or wishes to apply for a duplicate Driving License, he/she can do so by submitting an LLD form to the local RTO. You can follow the steps which are described below to apply for a duplicate DL in Madhya Pradesh:
- Procure the LLD form from the nearest RTO or download it from the state transport official website.
- The applicant will be then required to submit the passport sized photographs and necessary documents.
- If the applicant has filled out Form 7 to apply for a duplicate DL, then he/she must pay a fee of 40 rupees.
- The applicant will also be required to provide the original copy of the DL while applying for a duplicate copy.
How Can You Get International Driving License in Madhya Pradesh?
To acquire an international driving license in Madhya Pradesh, you can follow the steps described below:
- To procure an IDP or International Driving Permit the applicant must submit a filled IDP where he/she acquired the DL.
- Along with IDP, the applicant will be required to produce necessary documents and recent passport size photographs.
- A nominal fee of 1000 rupees also must be paid by the applicant while submitting the IDP form.
- The application is approved and verified by the RTO and the IDP is sent to the registered address.
FAQs for Driving License in Madhya Pradesh
How frequently should someone renew his/her DL in Madhya Pradesh?
After the expiry of the DL, the individual must renew it every five years. However, for transport vehicles, the renewal must be done in every three years.
What can I do if I fail the DL test?
If you have failed the DL test then you can retake it in the next seven days. If a candidate fails the test three times consecutively, then he/she must retake the test in the next 60 days.
Can I modify or cancel the dates for Driving License test?
Yes. You can modify or cancel the test dates. However, you will be charged with the modification/cancellation fee.