Driving a two-wheeler or a four-wheeler has been viewed as a symbol of freedom for a long time and it has now become a vital life skill. In times where riding your vehicle has become a necessity, owning a driving license also becomes essential. A Driving License is a formal document which has been issued by the Regional Transport Office which certifies that the holder is qualified enough to drive a motor vehicle. According to the Indian Motor Vehicle Act 1988, if an individual doesn't have a valid DL they can't drive on the public roads.
Each state has its process in India, the procedure of testing and the criteria for applying varies from state to state. Karnataka's state transport department has made the procedure for applying for a DL very convenient.
How to Apply for a Driving License in Karnataka?
The process for acquiring a DL in Karnataka is easy and straightforward. You can follow the steps given below to apply for DL in Karnataka:
- The applicant must procure Form 4 (the application form for acquiring the license to drive a vehicle which can be acquired from the official website of Karnataka or the local RTO).
- You must own a valid LL as well.
- The individual also must present a medical certificate which has to be signed by a medical practitioner who has been authorized by the government.
- If you are applying for the license of a transport vehicle then you must submit Form 5.
- Along with the application, you must submit all the other necessary documents and the necessary fees for the process, which should be submitted in the nearest RTO.
- A time slot is allotted to the applicant so that he/she can undergo the test. After passing the test, the candidate becomes eligible to obtain a permanent DL.
Types of Licenses in Karnataka
Karnataka State Government issues two types of Driving Licenses:
An applicant has to acquire the Learner's License before applying for a Driving License. LL has a validity of six months and after it expires the individual must either get it renewed or apply for a permanent DL.
After a month of receiving the LL, the applicant can apply for a DL. It must be noted that the applicant in no circumstances can apply for a Permanent DL before a month of owning the LL.
Driving License for Motorcycles Without Gear
This kind of permanent DL is issued to people for driving bikes without gear like scooters or mopeds. The candidate should be at least 16 years old to procure a Permanent Driving License for a bike without a gear.
Driving License for Light Motor Vehicle
This class of permanent DL is issued to people for driving a light motor vehicle which includes bikes and cars. To procure this sort of driving license in Karnataka, the candidate must be at least 18 years of age.
Driving License for Transport Vehicles
Individuals who want to drive carrier vehicles such as private service vehicles, trucks, taxis etc must procure a permanent Driving License for transport vehicles. In Karnataka, DL for such vehicles is issued to people who are at least 21 years old.
Driving License Renewal Procedure
If an individual's DL is about to expire, it is necessary for the license holder to apply for license renewal 30 days before the expiry date is reached. Renewal for licenses one month after the expiry can attract a fine of 250 rupees.
Procedure for International Driving License
The Karnataka RTO also issues IDP (International Driving Permit) to the applicants who have a valid DL that is issued in India and who plan on going abroad for work/studying. To acquire an International Driving Permit, an IDP form should be filled, where information like the purpose of visit, duration of stay and other details of the countries should be furnished at the RTO.