An application for an Indian passport requires an individual to fill up the online form, pay the required fee and book an appointment at the PSK or RPO and visit the office in person with the required documents to get the application verified and processed. The application can be done online by logging into the official website of Passport Seva and filling in the form. Once the appointment is booked after successful payment of required fees, the applicant will receive an ARN receipt. With a print out of the ARN, along with other necessary documents, the applicants must visit the PSK/RPO on the schedules date and time to process the passport application.
Applying For the Passport Online
The following steps can help in successfully applying for a passport through the official government website:
Step one: Logging In
One must first visit the official website of Passport Seva: www.passportindia.gov.in/
The left side panel of the page will provide an option to log in - existing users can just login using their id and password whereas the new users should register by clicking on 'New User? Register Now' box. The website will ask for some information and then let the new user create his/her username and password.
Step Two: Choosing the Application Type
After logging in, the application will get access to the site and be redirected to the Applicant Homepage. In this page, the applicant has to choose to apply for a:
- Fresh passport / Passport Reissue
- Diplomatic passport / official passport
- Police clearance certificate (PCC)
- Identity Certificate
One must note that this homepage also contains a link to view saved and submitted applications. Hence, if the applicant has already submitted the application form, they can return view it from this page. Selecting ‘Apply for fresh /Reissue of passport’ will redirect the applicant to the next step of filling up the application form.
Step Three: Filling the Application Form
The passport application form can either be filled and submitted online or downloaded as a pdf, filled up offline and submitted online by uploading the pdf back in the web portal. The following step can help an applicant with the process.
Click on the link and select whether you want to fill the form online or download the application form in soft copy. You should select from the list below:
- Police Clearance Certificate
- Identity Certificate
- Click on the correct link and find the form.
- Fill the application form
- Submit the form online or by clicking on the link that says ‘Upload e-form’.
Select 'Fresh/Reissue' and submit. The website will redirect you to the online application form - either the online form or the downloaded form. In either process, the following details have to be specified:
On the ‘Passport Type’ page, choose between:
- Fresh passport or reissue of passport
- Normal or Tatkal type
- Booklet of 36 pages or 60 pages
- Validity period of 10 years or up to 18 years of age
Select the correct options and click on ‘Next’. You will be taken to a page with different sections of the application like the following:
- Applicant Details
- Family Details
- Present Address
- Emergency Contact
- Previous Passport Information
- Other Details
- Submit the form
It is mandatory that the applicant is connected to the internet while filling this form. It the internet connection is unstable, it is advisable to download the form and fill it up offline.
Step Four: Pay and Schedule the Appointment
The fee calculator tool can help you ascertain the fee payable, depending upon the type of application. This option is present in the left navigation bar of the website. Diplomatic/Official Passports applications do not involve any fee.
After filling the form, the applicant has to pay the concerned fees to schedule an appointment with the Passport Seva Kendra (PSK). Here are the ways of scheduling an appointment:
- Go to the ‘Applicant Home’ page.
- Click on ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications.’
- You will be taken to a page which has the following details:
- File Number
- Applicant Name
- Appointment Date and Submission Number
- Select the correct ARN of the form you filled and the following will be displayed:
- Retrieve partially filled form
- Pay and Schedule Appointment
- Print Application Receipt
- View/Print Submitted Form
- Track Application Status
- Track Payment Status
- Payment Receipt
- Upload Supporting Documents
- Appointment History
- Click on ‘Pay and Schedule Appointment’ from these options to initiate the payment process.
- Next, choose the mode of payment from the two options, viz. Online payment or Challan payment. The Challan process requires you to generate a challan, print it and visit a branch of SBI with it to make the payment. This is a time-consuming process and you might have to wait for up to 3 days to be able to book the appointment. The online payment is much more convenient and can be done instantly from the comforts of your home.
- Proceed and make the payment however convenient. Once payment is complete, the next step would be to book the passport appointment.
- Once you receive an update on successful payment, you can ‘Schedule the appointment.’
- As you click on ‘Schedule the appointment,’ a new page will show you the available dates for appointments at the nearby PSKs.
- Select a PSK and select a convenient date.
- Book the appointment.
Upon successful completion of this process, do the following:
- Visit the ‘Applicant Home’ page.
- Click on ‘Track Payment Status.’
- If the payment is processed successfully, you will get an appointment confirmation. Otherwise, the website will indicate a failed payment. Don't worry, make the payment again. The previously deducted amount will be refunded to the account.
- On successful completion of payment, you will receive a confirmation of the appointment as well as an appointment number. The confirmation page displays the following details: the ARN, name, date of birth, type of passport, the appointment quota, selected PSK, the appointment date and time, and the appointment ID.
- The next step would be to print this application receipt.
Step Five: Print ARN Receipt
The final step in this online application process is to get the application receipt printed. The print command can be generated from the website. However, check and verify the following before printing the ARN:
- All the details as submitted in the application form.
- Payment details, such as the total fee paid, the date and time of payment and the payment transaction ID.
- Appointment details, such as the location of the PSK, its address, date and time of passport appointment, the appointment ID and the reporting time.
After reviewing these details, click on ‘Print Application Receipt’ option at the bottom right corner.
Now that the application process is complete, remember the following:
- You must carry all the required documents to the PSK in originals as well as one set of self-attested photocopies.
- Adults need not carry photographs but a minor below 4 years of age must carry a recent photograph clicked in white background in size of 4.5 X 3.5 cms.
- You should be present at the PSK a little before the reporting time and collect a token.
- You should ideally visit the PSK alone except for exceptional cases where the applicant is a minor, a senior citizen, handicapped or illiterate.
- Electronic items like cameras and any harmful object or substance cannot be taken inside the PSK.
- You should be very careful with the payment details as the payments once made can’t be refunded.
- Note that you have to carry the application receipt when you visit the PSK for the appointment.
- In case you know that you will be unable to attend the appointment, you can reschedule or cancel the appointment but the payment has to be made again to obtain a new appointment.
- You may reschedule the appointment twice within a year from the date of making the original appointment.
- If you miss the appointment, you cannot reschedule it and you have to repeat the entire application process.
Applying For Diplomatic Passport/Official Passport Online
Individuals who hold diplomatic status or those who are on duty under the Indian Government and travel abroad on official duty frequently are granted a Diplomatic or Official passport. A diplomatic passport can also be used as proof of identity and address. The applications for such passports are generally handled by the CPV or Consular, Passport and Visa Division, at Patiala House in New Delhi. However, one may also apply at the Passport Office attached to their present address.
These guidelines can help in applying for an Official or Diplomatic passport online:
- Applicants must visit the official website/portal of Passport Seva and register themselves by clicking on the ‘Register Now’ link available on the homepage.
- Applicants will thus receive an ID which is to be used for logging in to the Online Portal.
- Applicants must then click on the ‘Apply for Diplomatic/Official Passport’ link.
- Next, the necessary form has to either filled and submitted online or downloaded, filled and submitted with the required documentary proof.
- A printout of the submitted application must be taken from the ‘View/Print Submitted Form’ link on the ‘View Saved/Submitted Applications’ page.
- The printout must be taken to the Consular Passport and Visa Division at Patiala House in New Delhi, along with necessary documents in original and photocopies for submission and further processing