Passport is an essential piece of document which verifies a person's nationality and identity. This powerful document enables a person to visit other countries legally. The Indian Government is responsible for the issuance of passports to the citizens. The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) is the government body responsible for issuing passports. A passport is not just a proof of identity and address but is also a mandatory document for international travel.
Earlier, applying for a passport was a long and tedious process, involving multiple visits to the Regional Passport Office (RPO) and a long period of waiting. However, since the Ministry of External Affairs has introduced the online application process, obtaining a passport has become very easy and convenient.
Applying for a passport is possible from anywhere at any time, through the online application process. Passport applicants in Ahmedabad must follow these steps to apply for a passport online:
Online Passport Application Service
The online application process for passports in Ahmedabad needs all applicants to register in the Passport Seva Portal (PSP) at www.passportindia.gov.in and then log in to follow the steps therein.
- Sign in to the Passport Seva account using the id and password.
- Click on the link that says ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport’ and select the Re-issue option.
- Fill out the passport application form with all the required information - either fill up and submit the form online; or alternatively download it, fill it out and upload it back for submission.
- Verify all details in the form before submitting it.
- After filling up and submitting the form, you should pay the required fee and then book a time and date slot to visit the PSK for further procedures. The fee can be easily paid online using SBI internet banking or credit/debit cards of any bank. The fee can also be paid online - generate a challan, print it, walk into the nearest branch of SBI and make the payment. After completing the payment, the web portal will let you book an appointment slot in the following way:
- Select the “Schedule appointment” option after making the payment
- Check for the status to display the message “Success”
- Proceed to book an appointment
- Choose a convenient slot and the passport office nearest to you.
Alternatively, one may apply for a passport offline as well, by submitting the duly filled application form at any of these centers:
- DPC or District Passport Cell
- SPC or Speed Post Centre
- CSC or Citizen Service Centre
These centers, however, only accept the applications for fresh or new passports. These centers sell as well as accept passport forms (for new passports only), collect all the supporting documents and verify the same. They also collect the required passport fees. However, biometric data such as fingerprints records are not collected at these centers. Once the application is submitted and the documents are verified, these centers forward the application to the appropriate Regional Passport Office for further processing. The RPO, in turn, connect with the concerned police department for police verification and accordingly take care of the issuance, printing, lamination and dispatch of the passport. These centers have been allowed to accept applications in order to help ease the burden on the major passport issuing authorities such as the PSKs and RPOs.