Electoral Roll is a list of the names of eligible voters who belong to an assembly constituency. The registering authority appointed by the election commission enlists the voters of the entire country. NRIs who have left the country temporarily and do not hold citizenship in the country where they reside are eligible to vote.
What is Part Number of Voters' List?
Part Number indicates the voter's area of residence. The Part Number is vital information that helps in identifying a voter' constituency. From applying for a Voter ID to making changes in the voter card, the Part Number plays an essential role in availing passport services. You can follow these two methods to find out your Part Number.
The details of Part Number are mentioned in the back of the voter ID card. You'll be required to look for the information on the voter ID that says Part Number and Name. Part Numbers are assigned depending on local regions and this method is comparatively useful. Part Number can be changed if someone shifts within a short radius as well. Before finalizing over the Part Number, you must verify the details that you have provided.
The other method of finding out your Part Number is by referring to the ECI website. You can follow the steps described below:
- Visit the ECI website.
- Click on the Name Search in Voters' List.
- You will be redirected to a webpage which has the links to all the CEO's website.
- Select the relevant state.
- CEO's website can provide you an option for searching for the Part Number by your name, EPIC Number and location.
- Enter the accurate details and obtain the Part Number.
Part Number can allow the voters and booth officials to have communicated between themselves. It is relevant to find the constituency across the country and every area in the country is designated with Part Numbers. It is advisable to keep the Part Number handy to avail voter card related services.
If you don't have a voter ID or wish to change details in your existing voter ID, you can visit the Nation Voters' Service Portal website for information. You can find your BLO, ERO and DLO through this website.
The Election Commission of India
India is the largest democracy in the world. Our country functions with a vibrant form of parliamentary government. Election Commission is one of the essential pillars of the democracy and it plays a vital role in strengthening the roots of democracy in the country. As of March 2019, Sunil Arora is the incumbent Chief Election Commissioner of India. The Election Commissioner is responsible for conducting fair elections in the country. The official enumerators prepare the electoral rolls and the Election Commission monitors them.
Online Method to Apply for Voter ID
The citizens can follow this method to apply online for a voter ID card:
- Visit the official website of Election Commission of India.
- Click on National Voters' Services Portal.
- Click on 'Apply online for Registration of New Voter ID.
- Fill up the required details. Fill in all the 4 sections of Form 6.
- Click on Submit.
- If you wish to finish the details later click on Save and fill up the details according to your convenience.
- If you wish to change any details provided by you, then you can click on Reset.
- Click on Upload, to upload the scanned copies of all the required documents.
- Upload your photograph along with the documents.
- You can check the status of your Voter ID application by using the reference number.
Offline Voter ID Method
If the individual doesn't wish to apply online, then he/she may follow the method described below to apply for voter ID offline.
- Visit the State Election Office and request for Form 6.
- Fill up all the necessary details and provide all the relevant documents such as the identity and address proof.
- After the details provided by you are verified, submit the form in the office.
- Your Election ID will be used within a specific period.
Semi-online Method to Get Voter ID
- There is a semi-online method to apply for voter ID card.
- Visit the Election Commission or State Commission website.
- Download Form 6.
- Fill up the form with relevant details.
- Upload the necessary documents.
- Submit filled form at the Election Office by post or in person.
- After the verification details provided by you, Voter ID will be issued to you.
Individuals must conform to the following criteria to apply for voter ID online:
- The applicant must be above 18 years of age.
- Applicants who belong to a specific category or are financially bankrupt cannot apply for voter ID.
Electoral Roll/Voting List is a list of individuals who are entitled to exercise their right to vote and participate in the elections. According to Article 82 of the Indian Constitution, the Parliament has to enact the Delimitation Act after each census. The Delimitation Act is used to democratize the parliamentary constituencies. India has 543 parliamentary constituencies which were created based on the census of 2001.
Search in Electoral Rolls
You can search your name in the voters' list by visiting the Electoral Search website. You can search for your details in two ways:
Searching by using details
- Enter your Name
- Enter your Father's/Husband's Name
- Select your age
- Select your state
- Select your constituency
- Enter the Captcha and click on Search
Searching by EPIC Number
- Enter your EPIC Number
- Select your State
- Enter the Captcha
- Click on Search
Deletions and Corrections in the Electoral Rolls
ECI has made it possible for the electors to modify the details in their voter ID cards. Hence it is possible to make corrections and deletions in case they are required.
If the voter is shifting his/her residence to another country, the elector can be deleted from the electoral roll. The elimination can also be made if a person has died. The voter ID owner can use Form 7 to delete their name from the voters' list.
If any detail on your voter ID card is incorrect, you can correct it by filling out form 8 and sending it to the CEO along with necessary documents. The documents must include your proof of identity and address.
If an elector is shifting their address to a different constituency, then they must fill out form 8A and submit it to the CEO. In this case, too, you need to provide your identity and address proof.
FAQs on Electoral Roll
Can NRIs apply for voter ID?
Yes. Since 2010, even NRIs can apply for voter ID in India. However, the NRIs must not hold citizenship of the country that they are residing in.
Can I enroll for voting if I am a tenant? What proof of address do I submit?
Yes. Tenants can also enroll for voting. You can visit your nearest ERO and check if your name is in the Electoral Poll. If you haven't registered, then you can fill up form 6 and submit it to the respective authorities. You may provide the following as address proof:
- Bank Passbook
- Ration Card
- Driver's License
- Income Tax Returns Reports
- Rental Agreement
- Employee ID
- Recent water, electricity or telephone bill
- Student Declaration Form signed by your college dean/principal/registrar
How can I get a Duplicate Voter ID?
You need to file an FIR in the nearest police station to get a duplicate voter ID. You need to submit the FIR along with the required documents and 25 rupees for issuing of new EPIC Card.