The city of Thrissur in the Indian state of Kerala was originally known as Thiru Siva Peroor. It is more commonly known by its anglicised name Trichur. It is the fifth largest city in Kerala as well as the third largest urban agglomeration in the state. The city functions as the headquarter of the Thrissur District. The city of Thrissur has developed around a 65-acre hillock known as the Thekkinkadu Maidan which houses the famous Vadakkumnathan temple. Thrissur used to be the capital of the Kingdom of Cochin in olden days. Thrissur is known for its cultural, spiritual and religious leanings throughout history and hence often referred to as the Cultural Capital of Kerala. Thrissur a major financial and commercial hub of the state, dotted with thriving Malayali entrepreneurs. The city is known for its financial capabilities which predominantly fuels the economy. Thrissur has the headquarters and offices of almost all the banks registered under RBI, thus earning it the nickname of the "Banking town." Thrissur is also gradually emerging as the largest center for Ayurvedic drug manufacturing industry with more than 150 manufacturing units within the city. Modern retailing has also become a big business and revenue earner in Thrissur. Jewelry and textile retailing occupy a major part of Thrissurs retailing business. Famous jewelry groups like Kalyan Group, Joyalukkas, Jos Alukka & Sons, etc. have their bases in the city and provide employment opportunities to a lot of residents.
On November 3, 1926, the Laxmi Vilas Bank was founded under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it had achieved the certificate to commence business. In 1926, seven businessmen of Karur founded Lakshmi Vilas Bank under the leadership of Shri V.S.N. Ramalinga Chettiar. They aimed to serve the financial needs of people who were occupied in trading businesses, industry and agriculture, in and around Karur. The Laxmi Vilas Bank is a private sector bank. It is based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India and did considerable expansion of its branch network from 1961 to 1965, when the bank took over nine other banks. In 1976, the bank obtained the status of Authorized Dealer in foreign exchange for providing services to the customers involved in international trade as well as to travelers who travel overseas. In 1977, the mechanization was introduced in the administrative office. The bank implemented core Banking Solution (CBS) in October 2006, and all of the banks branches were migrated to CBS by March 2008. Lakshmi Vilas Bank has 523 offices,984 ATM centers, and seven extension counters, as of 2018. Mr. Partha Sarthi Mukherjee is the MD and CEO of Lakshmi Vilas Bank. The bank was established on November 3, 1926, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it obtained the certificate to commence business.