The Indian city of Sirsa is also a municipal council in the eponymous district in Haryana. Sirsa lies in the westernmost region of the state, bordering Punjab and Rajasthan. The history of Sirsa dates back to the time of the Mahabharata. River Sarasvati used to flow through this area at one point in time. Sirsas ancient name was Sairishaka. Many believe that the name got modified over time and eventually became "Sirsa." Another popular belief attributes the derivation of name to the abundance of the Siris (Benth) trees in the surrounding area. Sirsa is one of Indias 250 backward districts and the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme is currently supporting the city with funds. The city has an air base of the Indian Air Force called sirsa Air Force Station.
On November 3, 1926, the Laxmi Vilas Bank was founded under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it had achieved the certificate to commence business. In 1926, seven businessmen of Karur founded Lakshmi Vilas Bank under the leadership of Shri V.S.N. Ramalinga Chettiar. They aimed to serve the financial needs of people who were occupied in trading businesses, industry and agriculture, in and around Karur. The Laxmi Vilas Bank is a private sector bank. It is based in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India and did considerable expansion of its branch network from 1961 to 1965, when the bank took over nine other banks. In 1976, the bank obtained the status of Authorized Dealer in foreign exchange for providing services to the customers involved in international trade as well as to travelers who travel overseas. In 1977, the mechanization was introduced in the administrative office. The bank implemented core Banking Solution (CBS) in October 2006, and all of the banks branches were migrated to CBS by March 2008. Lakshmi Vilas Bank has 523 offices,984 ATM centers, and seven extension counters, as of 2018. Mr. Partha Sarthi Mukherjee is the MD and CEO of Lakshmi Vilas Bank. The bank was established on November 3, 1926, under the Indian Companies Act, 1913, and on November 10, 1926, it obtained the certificate to commence business.