The towns of Sangli, Miraj and Kupwad in the Sangli district of the Indian state of Maharashtra were clubbed together to form a small city. With a population of about half a million, Sangli-Miraj-Kupwad is considered to be the largest municipal corporation in South Maharashtra. This mini-metropolitan city is governed by the Sangli-Miraj-Kupwad Municipal Corporation, which is made of democratically elected members, headed by a mayor. The town of Sangli is to be found on the banks of river Krishna. Miraj is a major railway junction, a major healthcare center as well as an export hub of various Indian musical instruments. Kupwad, a small town earlier, is an industrial area harboring many foundries, oil manufacturing units, spinning mills, chocolate factories, cold storage, etc. Notable foundries located in this area are Tulsi foundry and J sons foundry. The famous chocolate manufacturer, Lotte, has its factory in this city. Spinning mills like Toto Toya spin ltd, oil manufacturers like Chakan oil mills are also based out of Kupawad. The city has a mixed group of multi-cultural residents who speak in various languages including Marathi, Urdu, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi.
The IDBI Bank Ltd provides personalized banking and financial solutions to its customers in the retail and corporate sector via the network of branches, ATMs and internet banking. Core IT banking platform drives the operations of IDBI. Under the Parliament Act, IDBI Bank was constituted in 1964 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the RBI. In 1976, GOI took the ownership of IDBI, and it was regarded as the public financial institution in the finance and development industry. In July 1995, the government holding in the bank shares came down from 100% to 75% due to the public issue of IDBI. In the year 2004, the IDBI was transformed into the bank from DFI. IDBI obtained the status of a limited company under Transfer of Undertaking and Repeal Act, 2003 (Repeal Act). The scheduled bank status was given to IDBI Bank by the Reserve Bank of India under the RBI Act, 1934. Consequently, the IDBI formally entered into the banking business as IDBI Ltd. The United Western Bank Ltd was with IDBI Ltd in 2006, under the provisions of section 45 of Banking Regulation Act, 1949. In the year 2008, the name of the bank was changed from IDBI Ltd to IDBI Bank Ltd, and a fresh certificate of incorporation was issued.