Karaikudi is situated in the Sivaganga district of Tamil Nadu. It is a greater municipality and the states 20th largest urban agglomeration. It is part of the Chettinad area and has been declared a heritage town by the State Government of Tamil Nadu. Karaikudi is known for its palatial houses that are built with limestone called Karai Veedu. Karaikudi has derived its name from the thorny plant called Karai. It has been referred to in the ancient literature as Kareekudi. The name gradually got modified and modernized into Karaikudi. It was established in the 19th century. The oldest known structure in the area is the Koppudaiya Nayagi Amman Temple. The town of Karaikudi is home to the Nagarathars and the Chettiars who form the business community, the financiers and the trade facilitators. Karaikudi is a rapidly developing urban center. UNESCO has proposed to set up a Chettinad Heritage Museum in the area, recognizing the unique architectural style of the region. Karaikudi is known for its palm leaf baskets woven by the women, known as Chettinad Kottan. Chettinadu Kandangi sarees of Karaikudi are widely popular in the region. The handicraft industry in Karaikudi is indeed a thriving business. Karaikudi is also known for its delectable cuisine. There are many prominent temples in the area that attract tourists. Kundrakudi Shanmuganathan Temple, Ariyakudi Thiruvengamudayan Temple, Pillayarpatti Karpagavinayagar temple, Thirumayam Permual Temple, Kannadasan Mandapam, Kamban Manimandapam, Chettinad Raja Palace and Thousand windows house are the visitor attractions in Karaikudi
The IDBI Bank Ltd provides personalized banking and financial solutions to its customers in the retail and corporate sector via the network of branches, ATMs and internet banking. Core IT banking platform drives the operations of IDBI. Under the Parliament Act, IDBI Bank was constituted in 1964 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the RBI. In 1976, GOI took the ownership of IDBI, and it was regarded as the public financial institution in the finance and development industry. In July 1995, the government holding in the bank shares came down from 100% to 75% due to the public issue of IDBI. In the year 2004, the IDBI was transformed into the bank from DFI. IDBI obtained the status of a limited company under Transfer of Undertaking and Repeal Act, 2003 (Repeal Act). The scheduled bank status was given to IDBI Bank by the Reserve Bank of India under the RBI Act, 1934. Consequently, the IDBI formally entered into the banking business as IDBI Ltd. The United Western Bank Ltd was with IDBI Ltd in 2006, under the provisions of section 45 of Banking Regulation Act, 1949. In the year 2008, the name of the bank was changed from IDBI Ltd to IDBI Bank Ltd, and a fresh certificate of incorporation was issued.