Jamalpur, a part of Munger-Jamalpur twin cities, is situated in the Indian state of Bihar. The name Jamalpur is an amalgam of two words - Jamal which means beautiful and pur which means town. True to its name, Jamalpur is indeed a beautiful town with a scenic landscape and peaceful environment. It is situated 8 kilometers from its twin city of Munger. There are more than 1 lakh residents in this city and they speak in a variety of languages such as Maithili, Hindi, Angika, Bhojpuri, Bengali and Urdu. Jamalpur is recognized for the Jamalpur Locomotive Workshop. It provides employment opportunities to more than 25000 people at its training institution known as The Indian Railways Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. The town, as well as the railway institute, was established in 1862 during the British Raj. Apart from the railway workshop, the economy of the city is also driven by a foundry, metallurgical lab facilities and machine tool facilities. "Kali Pahar" atop Jamalpur Hill, is a paleolithic site where quartzine from the Early and Middle Stone Ages was found.
The IDBI Bank Ltd provides personalized banking and financial solutions to its customers in the retail and corporate sector via the network of branches, ATMs and internet banking. Core IT banking platform drives the operations of IDBI. Under the Parliament Act, IDBI Bank was constituted in 1964 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the RBI. In 1976, GOI took the ownership of IDBI, and it was regarded as the public financial institution in the finance and development industry. In July 1995, the government holding in the bank shares came down from 100% to 75% due to the public issue of IDBI. In the year 2004, the IDBI was transformed into the bank from DFI. IDBI obtained the status of a limited company under Transfer of Undertaking and Repeal Act, 2003 (Repeal Act). The scheduled bank status was given to IDBI Bank by the Reserve Bank of India under the RBI Act, 1934. Consequently, the IDBI formally entered into the banking business as IDBI Ltd. The United Western Bank Ltd was with IDBI Ltd in 2006, under the provisions of section 45 of Banking Regulation Act, 1949. In the year 2008, the name of the bank was changed from IDBI Ltd to IDBI Bank Ltd, and a fresh certificate of incorporation was issued.