Vizianagaram is a seaside city in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It functions as the headquarters of the Vizianagaram district and mandal. The city is close to the Bay of Bengal and around 40 kilometers away from Visakhapatnam. Various rivers flow through the city such as Nagavali, Vegavathi, Champavathi, Gomukhi, Suvarnamukhi, and Gostani, rendering the area very fertile and conducive to agriculture. There are several irrigation projects on these rivers which indirectly contribute to the economy of the city. The city experiences a predominantly hot and humid climate throughout the year. Around 2.3 lakh residents live in Vizianagaram who mainly speak in Telugu. The city is known for its production of Jute. The coastal belt of Vizianagaram is known for salt cultivation. The largest industry in this area is the manufacture units of ferromanganese. The city has 22 large-scale industries that manufacture jute twine, ferroalloys, sponge, sugar, cement, pharmaceuticals and iron. Vizianagaram has quite a few small-scale industries that focus on general engineering, motor workshops, RCC spun pipes, sawmills, aluminum utensils, groundnut oil mills, rolling mills and vehicle parts.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.