The holy city of Banaras or Varanasi is located in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. It is one of the ?Sapta Puri? or seven holy cities where one can attain ?Moksha.? It is believed that Lord Shiva was the founder of this city that dwells on the banks of the holy Ganga. Hindu pilgrims perform ceremonies, ritualistic ablutions as well as cremation and last rites in the river ghats which are embankments made of stone slabs. The Dashashwamedh Ghat is the most spectacular one that attracts a lot of tourists to see the beautiful evening rituals. Numerous devotees and tourists from all over the world flock to Varanasi every year to visit the famous Kashi Vishwanath Temple among several others. There are several mosques and Jan temples in and around the city as well. Tourism boosts the city?s economy, along with certain medium and small-scale industries and agricultural produce. The fertile Ganges plains help the farmers cultivate crops like wheat, maize and sorghum. Copper and brass goods are also manufactured in this city apart from the small-scale industries that produce rugs, carpets, clay toys and other handicrafts. All of these contribute to the city?s economy. Varanasi is also well known for its perfumes, silk and muslin fabrics, jewelry designs, sculptures and ivory crafts. This ancient city is indeed rich in its culture and traditions.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.