The industrial city of Unnao in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh functions as the headquarter of the Unnao district. It has three industrial suburbs around it. Unnao is a part of Central Ganges Plain and the region falls under the Kanpur-Lucknow Counter Magnet Area. A new satellite town of Unnao by the name of Trans Ganga City is being built to develop Unnao as a major infrastructural and industrial and hub. Unnao was earlier known for its dense forest cover until the 12th century when Godo Singh of the Rajput clan cleared the forest and established a settlement in the area called Sawai Godo. This town went into the hands of the rulers of the Kannauj. A governor was appointed to look after the place, but he was killed by a Bisen Rajput called Unwant Rai Singh. Thus the area passed on to the usurper Unwant Rai Singh, who built a fort and renamed the place as Unnao after himself. Unnao is known for its leather, chemical industries and mosquito nets. Tanning is the biggest contributor to Unnaos economy, followed by the dye and printing of mosquito nets. The city has many historical buildings and structures apart from beautiful lakes and scenic landscapes.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.