The holy city of Thanjavur is located in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is an important hub of religion, art, and architecture in South India. It was earlier known as Tanjore and had once served as the capital of the Chola Empire. Most of the famous temples in and around Thanjavur are from the Chola dynasty and they have now been turned into UNESCO World Heritage Monuments. The most popular among these is the Brihadeeswara Temple. It is situated in the center of Thanjavur. Thanjavur is also known for its uniquely styled Tanjore paintings. The city is located near Cauvery Delta and known for the fertile soil. This important agricultural center and is known as the "Rice bowl of Tamil Nadu." Legend says that the word Thanjavur is obtained from "Tanjan," who was an asura (devil) in the Hindu mythology. Tanjan was killed by the Hindu God Neelamegha Perumal (Vishnu) in the region that is now Thanjavur. Hence, the city is named so. The economy of the city is primarily driven by agriculture. Crops that are grown in Thanjavur are blackgram, banana, coconut, red gram, green gram, gingelly, ragi, sugarcane and maize. The city is an important center of silk weaving in Tamil Nadu and its Thanjavur silk sarees are popular throughout the country. Tourism is a large contributor to the citys economy - Hindu devotees and tourists from all over the world visit the city to explore its plethora of amazing old temples.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.