surendranagar Dudhrej is situated in the Surendranagar district of Gujarat. During the colonial era, Surendranagar was used as a hill station for medication and treatment. Its dry environment was beneficial for various ailments. The dry air of Surendranagar is still believed to be the apt place in Gujarat to bring relief to patients of tuberculosis. Surendranagar has many SMEs including confectioneries, ceramics, pharmaceuticals, engineering plastics and salt production. Nearly 25% of Indias salt supply comes from Surendranagar. The Wadhwan city near Surendranagar functions as a major hub for trade and processing of cotton, agricultural products, salt, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, plastics, textile bearings, ceramics and sanitary ware. Surendranagar is also a hub of cotton and ginning activities. Numerous ginning and pressing units can be found in the area. It is a large producer of premium quality shankar cotton in the world. The Surendranagar Cotton Oil and Oilseeds Association Ltd. is famous for trade and exchange. It is Indias first Cotton Future Trading Exchange and was established in 1964. Home to a big textile and clothing market, Surendranagar specializes in saris. Vadwala Mandir of the Rabari community is situated in Surendranagar and attracts many visitors of the community on important days of rituals and ceremonies.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.