sri Ganganagar, referred to as SGNR in short, is a planned city in the Indian state of Rajasthan. It is the northern-most city of the state, located near the state border between Rajasthan and Punjab as well as the international border between India and Pakistan. It functions as the administrative headquarter of the eponymous district. The city is named after Maharaja Shri Ganga Singh Bahadur who was the Maharaja of Bikaner. Sri Ganganagar is often referred to as "the food basket of Rajasthan." SGNR is one the earliest well-planned modern cities of the country, believed to have been influenced by the town planning of Paris. The city is divided into blocks of the residential and commercial areas. The Sutlej enters Rajasthan near Sri Ganganagar. The city is situated on the Thar Desert and most of its flora and fauna survives on irrigation canals. Owing to its location, the city experiences extreme weather conditions - summer temperature can go up to 50 degrees and winters might be below zero degrees. The economy of Sri Ganganagar is based on agriculture. The desert town has been converted into a green city which supports the cultivation of wheat, mustard and cotton. Crops are guar, bajra, sugar cane and grams are also grown in this area. Farmers have recently started focusing on horticultural products too. The industries that have developed in the area are based on the agricultural produce. There are quite a few factories working on cotton ginning, pressing and spinning. Rice and sugar mills are also popular in the area.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.