The Indian city of Sirsa is also a municipal council in the eponymous district in Haryana. Sirsa lies in the westernmost region of the state, bordering Punjab and Rajasthan. The history of Sirsa dates back to the time of the Mahabharata. River Sarasvati used to flow through this area at one point in time. Sirsas ancient name was Sairishaka. Many believe that the name got modified over time and eventually became "Sirsa." Another popular belief attributes the derivation of name to the abundance of the Siris (Benth) trees in the surrounding area. Sirsa is one of Indias 250 backward districts and the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme is currently supporting the city with funds. The city has an air base of the Indian Air Force called sirsa Air Force Station.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.