The city of Sikar is located in between Agra and Bikaner in the Indian state of Rajasthan. It functions as the administrative headquarter of the Sikar District. It is known to be a historical city which contains many ancient architectural grandeur. The city is renowned for its art and culture. It had been the biggest Thikana or estate of the Jaipur state and was earlier was known by the name of Nehrawati. The historical city is surrounded by fortified walls that contain seven ?Pols? or gates. The primitive name of this city was ?Beer BhanKa Bass." The city experiences a semi-arid climate and hosts around 2.4 lakh residents. The city of Sikar is divided into 45 wards in order to ensure effective governance. The city is strongly connected to the rest of the country via roads and railway. Agriculture and animal husbandry are the main occupations in Sikar but the city has scope for industrial development in the future.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.