serampore is a famous historical town in the Indian state of West Bengal. While Serampore is the British spelling, the name of this town is spelled in different ways such as Srirampur, Shreerampore, Shrirampur, etc. The town is located in the Hooghly district and it functions as the headquarter of the Srirampore subdivision. The town is covered by the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority. Serampore is a pre-colonial town, situated on the west bank of River Hooghly. It was under the Danish rule from 1755 to 1845 and was known as Frederiknagore during the Danish dominance. This old city has stood the test of time and witnessed many social changes such as the rise and fall of feudalism, the advent of the Danes, the Bengal Renaissance during the British governance and subsequent industrial development in the post-independent era. Serampore has now become a satellite town of Kolkata and is undergoing rapid urbanization. There are many pristine educational institutions at Serampore - the Serampore College, Government College of Engineering and Textile Technology, Chatra Nandalal Institution are a few to name. The Mahesh area in Serampore is well-known for its yearly "Rath-Yatra" (Chariot ceremony in honor of God Jagannath) when thousands of devotees from all over the state flock to this town to witness the grand ceremony. The city of Serampore is very well connected to the rest of the state via railway and road.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.