secunderabad is the twin city of Hyderabad. It is located in the Indian state of Telangana. It was named after Sikandar Jah, who was the 3rd Nizam of the Asaf Jahi dynasty. Hence it is sometimes spelled as Sikander-a-bad. Secunderabad was a British cantonment, founded in 1806. Secunderabad and Hyderabad are together referred to as the twin cities but they have very different histories and cultures. Secunderabad had developed directly under the British rule until independence whereas Hyderabad was a princely state and the capital of the Nizams. Secunderabad and Hyderabad were earlier divided by the Hussain Sagar lake. However, Secunderabad has been integrated into Hyderabads GHMC municipality. The two cities are collectively known as Hyderabad, Indias fifth largest metropolis. Secunderabad is one of the largest army and air force cantonments in India. The city hosts prestigious educational institutions like the Nizam College and the Osmania University. ITC, Infosys, Intergraph and Coromandel International are few of the many private companies that have set up their offices in Secunderabad. Secunderabad railway station is the headquarter of South Central Railway and it is a major center for railway activity. The city has several industrial areas such as Bolarum, Nacharam, Moula-Ali, Ghatkesar, etc. The Department of Atomic Energy has several units in the city like Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research, Nuclear Fuel Complex, ECIL, etc. located in and around Secunderabad.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.