sasaram city, in the Indian state of Bihar, is the largest sub-metropolitan area of the state. Sasaram has many religious and historical places to visit, which are surrounded by the scenic Kaimur mountains and the Sone and Kav rivers. The name of the city is also spelled as Sahasram. It was an ancient village which was known as the gateway of "Vihar" as it would give one entry to the Nalanda and Gaya area. Gautama Buddha had passed through this city on his way to gaining enlightenment at Gaya. Many industries are situated around Sasaram city. Gauraxni, Fazalganj, New Area and Tomb Area are the commercial zones with several malls, multiplexes, hotels and premium medical facilities. The remaining regions like Muradabad, Dehri, Dalmianagar, Nokha, Tilauthu, Jamuhar, Son Nagar, Amjhor and Kudra function as the administrative headquarter of the Rohtas district. Sasaram city is known for its high literacy rate and the area with highest forest cover in Bihar. Sasaram is known for the production of fertilizer, stone chips, cement and for the quarrying industry. Bhojpuri, Hindi, and Urdu are the major languages spoken by the 1.5 lakh residents of Sasaram who mainly follow Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism, Buddhism and Jainism. The economy of Sasaram is fuelled by agriculture as well as related industries like rice polishing.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.