Ghaziabad is a well-known city which is often called the “Gateway of Uttar Pradesh” due to its proximity to the capital city of India, New Delhi. Ghaziabad is a part of the National Capital Region and is inhabited by more than 2 million people. Wazir Ghazi-ud-din founded Ghaziabad in 1740. He named it ‘Ghaziuddinnagar’ after himself. The Mughal royal family would visit Ghaziabad for picnics, especially in the areas near the Hindon river. The Hindon river clearly divides the city into two parts – the Cis-Hindon on the east bank and the Trans-Hindon on the west. Ghaziabad is a huge and planned industrial city and it is the main educational, commercial and industrial center of Western Uttar Pradesh. Ghaziabad witnessed a gigantic industrial growth soon after independence. Steel manufacturing units were the first to be set up in the area, followed by electronic industries. Many major industrial houses quickly followed in setting up their units in and around Ghaziabad. A rapidly developing city, plenty of new job opportunities have recently opened up in Ghaziabad owing to its recent corporate boost. Many new commercial and residential projects are being set up in the city, gradually turning Ghaziabad into a real estate hub.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.