The city of Rourkela is a planned city located in the northern part of the Indian state of Odisha. Rourkela is often referred to as Ispat Nagar and sometimes as the Steel City of Odisha. Rourkela has one of the largest steel plants of SAIL, which is also known as Rourkela Steel Plant. The city has been selected to be further developed into a smart city in the third phase of the Smart Cities Mission. The city celebrates Rourkela Day on 3rd March every year. The name of Rourkela originates from the native tribal language of Sadri. It is an amalgam of two words - "rour" means "our" and "Kela" means "village" which adds up to "Our Village." The city is situated in the Sundergarh district of Odisha. The Rourkela Township is segregated into two townships known as Steel Township and Civil Township. The Steel Township comprises of the Residential quarters of Rourkela Steel Plant and the other part is known as the Civil Township. The steel plants drive the economy of Rourkela and most of the residents are employed in the Steel industry. With several places of tourist attraction nearby, reputed educational institutions like the NIT Rourkela and all the modern amenities needed for a comfortable living, this thriving city is a great place to settle in.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.