Pondicherry is the capital the largest city of the Indian Union Territory of Puducherry. It is affectionately referred to as Pondy and "Pdy" in short. Its official name has become Puducherry since 2006, which means new town in Tamil. The city is divided into 42 wards for effective governance. The 1st to 10th wards are located in the north of the city. The Boulevard town has Wards 11?19. The remaining wards are situated in the southwest of the downtown. Pondicherry has been a colony of the Dutch, Portuguese, British and French. However, the French East India Company dominated over the area for a long time and the city is widely known as a French settlement. The economy of Pondicherry is dependent upon the cultivation of crops such as rice, pulses, coconuts, sugarcane and cotton. Being a seaside city, it is also known for its fisheries and seafood. Pondicherry is a popular tourist destination. The city has numerous colonial buildings, churches and temples, within the systematically planned French style avenues, that still retain a colonial aura and attract tourists. The Promenade Beach and Auroville make the city all the more famous. Students from all over the country enroll themselves at the reputed institutions such as the French Institute of Pondicherry and the Pondicherry University.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.