Panihati is a developing city in the North 24 Parganas district of the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a part of Kolkata Urban Agglomeration with more than 3 lakh residents. Panihati municipality is a part of the Kolkata Metropolitan Area Development Area or KMDA. There are prestigious educational institutions such as the St. Xaviers Institution, the Narula Institute of Technology, Guru Nanak Institute of Technology, etc. in the vicinity of the city. The small city is well connected via railways with two important railway stations - Agarpara and Sodepur in the vicinity. The place is known for hosting many industries. The Bengal Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals at Panihati is a leading manufacturer of medicines. The Bengal Waterproof Works Private Ltd. is popular for their brand Duckback. The Texmaco Rail and Engineering Ltd. has five manufacturing units in and around Panihati. The residents are either employed in these industries or they travel to the various service sectors of the KMDA region for work.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.