Panchkula is a well-planned city located in the Indian state of Haryana. It lies adjacent to the union territory of Chandigarh and Mohali. Panchkula is a part of Greater Chandigarh which is also called the Chandigarh capital region. The Chandigarh-Mohali-Panchkula metropolitan area together forms a Chandigarh Tricity, which has a combined population of over 2 million. Panchkula alone has an approximate population of more than 5.5 lakh people. Panchkula hosts the Chandimandir Cantonment, the headquarters of the Indian Armys Western Command. The word "Panchkula" is derived from the words panch which means five in Sanskrit and kula which is the Sanskrit word for canals. Therefore the name of the city possibly refers to the five irrigation canals which distribute water to several parts of the city from the Ghaggar-Hakra River. The IT Park at Panchkula is a state of art infrastructure that aims to facilitate information technology in the city. The IT Park is spread over a vast expanse of 74 acres of land and is situates on the foothills of Shivalik Hills. It provides employment opportunities to the residents as well as migrants from other parts of the country. Tourism is another great source of economic growth. The places in and around Panchkula that are worth visiting are Pinjore Gardens, National Cactus and Succulent Botanical Garden and Research Centre, Kaushalya Dam, Khol Hi-Raitan Wildlife Sanctuary, Bir Shikargah Wildlife Sanctuary, and several temples.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.