Pallavaram, situated in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, was originally known as Pallava Puram. It is a residential locality in Chennai. It is known for its bustling residential colonies and cantonments. The Pallavaram railway station serves the neighborhood and it belongs to the Chennai Suburban Railway Network. The historical town of Pallavaram has been resided in since the Paleolithic Age. Pallavaram has derived its name from the Pallava settlement in the area. The cantonment and aerodrome were built during the British rule. The British conducted mining activities on Pallavaram Hill. The hill, made of charnockite rock, presumably possesses healing properties. This city is one of the oldest inhabited regions in South India as many stone age artifacts have been uncovered in the area. The city has more than 2 lakh residents who speak in Tamil. Most of the residents work in various service sectors in the neighboring city of Chennai.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.