Pali is an industrial city in the Indian state of Rajasthan. It is situated in the Marwar region of the state and functions as the administrative headquarters of the Pali District. The city of Pali was formerly known as Pallika and Palli. Located on the bans of the Bandi river, Pali was a trade center since ancient times. Pali is famous for its textile industries. Synthetic and cotton clothes, as well as yarn, is exported to other Indian states at a very cheap rate. Some new industries like Bangles, Marble cutting, marble finishing have recently emerged in the area. The city hosts the Maharaja Shree Umaid Mills which is the biggest cotton mill of Rajasthan and employs 3000 workers. There are three industrial areas in Pali known as the Mandia road industrial area, the Punayata industrial area and the industrial area phase 1& 2. The Mandia road area is the biggest and the oldest industrial area that houses innumerable manufacturing units of several renowned companies, mostly specializing in the textile industry. The Punayata industrial area has recently become a major landmark for Industrialists to set up new businesses. Additionally, several other industries such as leather products, agriculture instruments, chemicals, cement, granite, etc. have been set up in and around the city. Although these industries fuel the economy of Pali, they have also been criticized for causing severe pollution in the area.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.