North Dumdum is a thriving city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a municipality in the Barrackpore subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district and consists of localities like Nimta, Birati and parts of Rajarhat. The North Dumdum municipality was established in 1870. During the partition of Bengal in 1947, numerous refugees had migrated to this region from former East Pakistan. Initially, the bulk of refugees were mostly non-agriculturists and they made some vocational arrangements of their own by taking to squatting. They indulged in the forcible occupation of barracks and collectively took-over the private and government lands. By the year 1949, several refugee colonies had emerged in the area. Within very less time, these squatters not only found places to stay but also developed a properly functioning society with markets, schools, temples and eventually built colleges, hospitals and recreational centers. North Dumdum has over 2.5 lakh residents now. It houses the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, which is the only international airport in the state. This area comes under the Kolkata Metropolitan Area and most of its residents work in the various service sectors of the neighboring metro city.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.