Navi Mumbai is a planned township in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It is a beautiful and well-organized city located in the Thane district towards the north-east of Mumbai. Navi Mumbai was originally planned in 1971 with an aim to decongest the great city of Mumbai. This new township is a fast developing residential and commercial area that offers all modern infrastructure and amenities. A considerable amount of commercial activities are being gradually shifted from Mumbai to this new township. Navi Mumbai flouts its organized roads that offer excellent connectivity. A new international airport at Navi Mumbai is currently under construction. Navi Mumbai is also famous for its many shopping malls and upcoming residential complexes. Most of the software companies that are operational in Maharashtra have opened their offices in Navi Mumbai. The government of Maharashtra has taken initiatives to set up IT parks at Navi Mumbai to cater to the growing demand or this rapidly growing city. It also helps declutter Mumbai and takes considerable pressure off it. Various educational institutions have come up in Navi Mumbai, offering courses in a variety of streams including engineering, medical sciences, hotel management, interior designing, etc. This young city has already become an active business hub since most of the MNCs based in Mumbai have set up their offices in this new city. Along with plenty of employment opportunities, this city offers entertainment and recreational facilities to ensure a comfortable life for the residents.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.