Naihati is a riverside town in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is situated in the Barrackpore subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district. Naihati municipality, established in 1869, is one of the oldest in the country. Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, who wrote Indias national song Vande Mataram, was born in Naihati. Naihati had a vibrant industrial area. The jute mills along the bank of the Hooghly River were thriving and prosperous at a time, which attracted a lot of immigrants from the neighboring state of Bihar and Odisha. Hence, a large portion of Naihatis 2 lakh residents are immigrants who have settled down in shanty towns around the mill area. The Jenson & Nicholson factory was the first of its kind to be set up at Naihati. It produces paints, varnishes, pigments and allied products. The Gouripore Jute Mill and the Nuddea Jute Mills were leading providers of employment in Naihati. Naihati is also notable for fish farming - various genus of fish like Katla, Koi, Magur, Pabda, Rohu, etc. are reared in several fisheries in the area. Naihati railway station is also an important railway junction on the Indian Railways network. Durga Puja and Kali Puja are celebrated at Naihati with much pomp and show.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.