Nadiad is a large city in the Kheda district of the Indian state of Gujarat. Nadiad hosts around 2.3 lakh residents who mainly speak in Gujarati and Hindi. It is believed that this city had been a settlement of rope-dancers. The historical name of Nadiad was "Natapadra" which means outskirts of natas (ropes) or "Natpur" which means city of natas. It is also called Nandgam. The city has a special regard for the number 9 as it has nine step wells, nine villages or towns located in it, nine roads that enter and exit the city and nine lakes. Nadiad is also referred to as sakshar Bhumi which means The land of the educated. Nadiad experiences mild winters and very hot summers. Nadiad was the land of laureates and writers during the late 19th century and the early 20th century when the city largely contributed to the Gujarati literature.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.