Munger, along with Jamalpur, is considered to be a twin city situated in the Indian state of Bihar. It functions as the administrative headquarters of the Munger district as well as the Munger Division. Munger, situated on the banks of the holy Ganga, was an ancient seat of rule. Asias largest and oldest railway workshop, which was set up by the British in 1862, is operated by the Indian Railways at Jamalpur. Munger has an ITC Factory established by the British along with a Gun Factory, ITC Milk Dairy and many others. Munger has a strong network of railway and roads, connecting it to all the important neighboring areas. The places in and around Munger that are worth visiting are Munger Fort, Chandika Asthan, Kastaharni Ghat on the Ganges, Khanqah Rahmani, Bhimbandh Wildlife Sanctuary, Yoga Ashram, Rahmani Foundation, etc.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.