Morbi or Morvi is situated in the Morbi district of Gujarat. It used to be a Princely State that was ruled by the Ranas of Rajputs before the Indian independence in 1947. During the British era, the Morvi State was one among the several princely states that were governed by the Jadeja dynasty of Rajputs. The city is on the Kathiawar peninsula and is situated on the Machhu River. The dam on this river caused the Morbi disaster in 1979 when the Machu-2 dam burst, sending an enormous wall of water through the town and flooded Morbi. As of the latest census, Morbi has around 2 lakh residents who speak in Gujarati. Morbi experienced dynamic development n between 1922 and 1948, during which Sir Lakhdhiraji Waghji ensured commendable town planning and constructed many heritage buildings in and around the city. Morbi is known for its production of ceramic items and Compact Fluorescent Lamp. Moreover, the city is known to be the largest manufacturers of wall clocks in India.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.