Mehsana is a municipality situated in the Mehsana district in the Indian state of Gujarat. The name of this city is also spelled Mahesana. Mehsana was founded by the Rajput heir of the Chavda dynasty by the name of Mehsaji Chavda. He had constructed the Torana or the arc gate of the city and had also built a temple dedicated to Goddess Toran in 1414. The city was a part of the Bombay state after the Indian independence. It got annexed into the state of Gujarat in 1960. The city houses around 2 lakh residents who speak in Gujarati, Marathi and Hindi. The city is famous for its local breed of Mehsani buffaloes. The Doodhsagar Dairy in Mehsana is the largest dairy in Asia. The city also houses one of the largest assets for the onshore production of oil and natural gas by ONGC. The agriculture, as well as the road-equipment based industries, are also doing quite well in Mehsana. The Ganpat University and the Gujarat Technological University are the reputed educational institutions in this city. The city has a spectacular stepwell at Boter Kotha ni Vav, built during the rule of Emperor Aurangzeb. Badiyashi Vav in Biladi Baug is another stepwell worth visiting. There are several Jain and Hindu temples in and around Mehsana that call for a visit.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.