The city of Machilipatnam in the Krishna district of Andhra Pradesh functions as a municipal corporation, as well as the administrative, headquarter of its district. The city is also known as Masulipatnam and Bandar. It is an ancient port town which served as the settlement of the European traders in the 16th century. The British, Dutch and French used it as a major trading port in the 17th century. Machilipatnam experiences a tropical savanna climate with hot and humid summers and moderate winters. The city gets torrential rainfall during July, August and September. Owing to its vicinity to the Bay of Bengal, Machilipatnam is frequently hit by cyclones originating in the sea. The Machilipatnam Municipal Corporation is the civic body responsible for the governance of the city. This seaside city is known for its handloom industry, specializing in Kalamkari textiles that are exported to the United States and other Asian countries. Building boats and fishing are the other notable industries. Machilipatnam used to be a trading base for the Europeans and was known for the minting of copper coins, exporting diamonds and textiles. The AP state government is trying to revive the glory of the former port city. The Machilipatnam Area Development Authority is planning to set up a deep seaport and its associated industrial corridor at Machilipatnam which is expected to employ over 25,000 people.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.