Kottayam is a prosperous city in the Indian state of Kerala. The city functions as the administrative capital and headquarter of the Kottayam district. Kottayam was previously known as ?Cottayam? and ?Cotym? during the British rule. Kottayam is situated on the banks of the Meenachil River. Kottayam is known to be is one of the main centers of literature; it is hence known as the Akshara Nagari or the Land of Letters. Many Malayalam daily newspapers such as Deepika, Malayala Manorama and Mangalam had started in Kottayam and are headquartered in the city. Kottayam houses the headquarters of The Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. Various missionaries and the Christian churches established many educational institutions in and around the city during the British period. This city is often referred to as Chuvarchithra Nagari or the City of Murals. Domestic tourism has incredibly increased in Kottayam for its beautiful lakes and scenic hilly locations. Kottayam is a major producer or later and a trading center of natural rubber in India. It is the greatest contributor to the citys economy. The cultivation and trade of spices also boost the economy of Kottayam considerably. Kottayam experiences a moderate and pleasant climate with seasonal high levels of humidity.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.