Korba is an industrial city in the Korba District of the Indian state of Chhattisgarh. It functions as the headquarter of the Korba district. This metropolitan municipality is headed by a mayor-council form of government. The area is rich in minerals, especially aluminum ore. It obtains coal from the nearby Gevra and Kusmunda mines. This industrial area houses the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), the South Eastern Coalfields (SECL), the Chhattisgarh State Power Generation Company (CSPGCL), Lanco Amarkantak Power Plant, Bharat Aluminium Company (BALCO), and many industries. Most of these industries source their water requirements from the Hasdeo River. The residents of this city are mainly employed in its industrious zone. The city is fairly well connected to other parts of the state via roads and railways. There are many branches of the Delhi public school (DPS), Kendriya Vidyalaya (KV) and DAV public schools in Korba along with several institutes for higher education such as Government Engineer Vishwesarraiya Post Graduate College, Modern College of Management and Information Technology, Jyoti Bhushan Pratap Singh Law College, etc.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.