Kolhapur is a city in the Indian state of Maharashtra. It serves as the administrative headquarters of Kolhapur District. Kolhapur has a vast historical and cultural background and is often recognized by its historical name of Karvir. Its history is marked by the rule of several dynasties who left their marks at various places in the city is marked in terms of palaces and other landmarks. The economy of the city is fuelled by manufacturing industries like textiles, leather and handicraft. Tourism and agriculture are the other two source of income for people in this city. The city is famous for its nation-wide popular Kolhapuri chappal, which is a hand-crafted buffalo leather slipper, locally tanned using vegetable dyes. Other handicrafts include manual block printing on textiles, silver goods, oxidized silver artwork, jewelry crafting, pottery, wood carving, lacquerware, brass sheet work and embroidery. The Marathi Film Industry is based out of Kolhapur and considerably contributes to the citys economic growth. The tourism industry draws devotees and tourists alike to this city. The city serves as a religious and tourist destination for Indians due to places like Mahalaxmi Temple, Jyotiba Temple, Siddhagiri Museum, Panhala Fort, Rankala Lake, etc.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.