Kishanganj in Bihar was earlier a part of the Purnia district. The city, located in the Mithila region of the state, has now become a district on its own. The region has been under the dominance of the Indo-Aryan race, the Kingdom of the Videhas and was later incorporated into the Vajji confederacy. It is an economically backward region and is currently being funded by the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme. Kishanganj is a Muslim majority area in Bihar that has more than 1 lakh residents. The people living in Kishanganj speak in Maithili, Urdu, Surjapuri and Hindi. Many educational institutions have been established in Kishanganj in the last few years. Sonia Gandhi laid down the foundation stone of the Kishanganj campus of Aligarh Muslim University in 2014. Dr. A P J Abdul Kalam Agriculture College is also being built at Kishanganj. The city has a strong railhead and is well-connected to the neighboring areas via railway as well as roads.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.