Kharagpur is an industrial city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is located in the Paschim Medinipur district of the state. It is a densely populated, multi-cultural and cosmopolitan city. The first Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT Kharagpur), was founded in this region in May 1950. Kharagpur is known for hosting one of the largest railway workshops in the country. The Kharagpur railway station is a busy and important railway junction and it has the 3rd longest railway platform in the world, stretching for more than 1 kilometer. The city received its name from king Kharga Malla of Mallabhum when he had conquered it. Kharagpur Municipality oversees the administration and the civic affairs in the city. The city has around 3 lakh residents. Bengali is the most commonly spoken language in the area, although many residents speak in Hindi, Telugu, Odia and Punjabi. This city has one of the largest industrial setups in the state. The good connectivity via rail and road ensures availability of labor and raw materials. Many large industrial plants belonging to important establishments like Tata, Siemens, ISD Cement, Godrej, Century Extrusions, Humboldt Wedag, Bengal Energy, Ramco Cements, etc are located in and around Kharagpur. The town has many small rice mills and iron rolling mills. An IT Park is under construction in the city.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.