Kavali is situated in the Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh. It is a major municipal corporation in Andhra Pradesh and also the second largest city in the Nellore district. The city has around 1 lakh residents who mostly speak in Telugu. The name of this city was coined by Potuluri Veerabrahmendra Swami. It means patrol in the local language. This is because the Udayagiri king, Harihara Rayulu, had stationed his army at this town in 1515. Kavali is often referred to by the name "Kanakapatnam" which means "wealth will flow into this place." Kavali is a seaside town, located 8 kilometers away from the Bay of Bengal coastline. The National Highway 16 and the Kavali railway station on the Howrah-Chennai main line ensures a great connectivity to this city. Apart from the government-run and private educational institutions, the Visvodaya group has set up many schools and colleges at Kavali. This scenic city provides a pleasant environment to live in, away from the busy city life and traffic.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.