Katihar is situated in the eastern regions of the Indian state of Bihar. It functions as the regional headquarter of the Katihar district. It is known all over the eastern part of India for being a highly strategic railway junction. This city belonged to the Purnia district earlier. It is a part of the Mithila region. Katihar has a widespread railway network which connects the city to every other part of the country. It is known for its connectivity to the nooks and corners of the North East via railway and hence it is sometimes called "The Gateway of North-East." The city is located in the interior of Bihar and does not have a good network of roads. Katihar has many renowned educational institutions. Schools like Kendriya Vidyalaya, Ramakrishna Mission and Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya have their branches in the city. Quite a few well-known colleges in Katihar offer courses in medical sciences, technology. law and other disciplines. The city has a special inclination towards Movies and Sports. There are many movie theatres and open grounds to support these passions of the residents. The railway junction, which is connected to six different lines, is the main revenue generator for this city. Katihar is also a commercial city with plenty of shops, showrooms and restaurants.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.