Jaunpur is a town as well as a municipal board in the Jaunpur district of Uttar Pradesh. Jaunpur is located in the Purvanchal area, towards the northwest of the Varanasi district in the eastern part of the state. A greenfield airport is currently under construction in Jaunpur. Jaunpur was founded 1359 by the Sultan of Delhi Feroz Shah Tughlaq and was then known as Sheeraz-e-Hind. However, the ruler of Jaunpur soon broke off from the Delhi Sultanate and founded the Sharqi dynasty at Jaunpur and continued to rule for over a century till the Delhi Sultanate reconquered Jaunpur in 1493. It passed on to the Lodis and the Mughals and finally to the British after the Permanent settlement of 1779. Jaunpur has extremely fertile land due to the presence of five rivers namely Gomti, Sai, Varuna, Pili, and Basuhi. The Indian government initiated industrialization in 1976. The Satharia Industrial Development Authority was set up with more than 500 acres of land to promote industrial, commercial and social development. Pepsico India Pvt. Ltd and Hawkins Cooker Limited have their manufacturing units in this area. The area is dotted with great historical monuments and a few worth visiting are Shahi Quila Jaunpur Fort, Shahi Bridge, Jaunpur Atala Masjid, Jaunpur Jama Masjid, Lal Darwaza Masjid, etc.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.