Jamalpur, a part of Munger-Jamalpur twin cities, is situated in the Indian state of Bihar. The name Jamalpur is an amalgam of two words - Jamal which means beautiful and pur which means town. True to its name, Jamalpur is indeed a beautiful town with a scenic landscape and peaceful environment. It is situated 8 kilometers from its twin city of Munger. There are more than 1 lakh residents in this city and they speak in a variety of languages such as Maithili, Hindi, Angika, Bhojpuri, Bengali and Urdu. Jamalpur is recognized for the Jamalpur Locomotive Workshop. It provides employment opportunities to more than 25000 people at its training institution known as The Indian Railways Institute of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering. The town, as well as the railway institute, was established in 1862 during the British Raj. Apart from the railway workshop, the economy of the city is also driven by a foundry, metallurgical lab facilities and machine tool facilities. "Kali Pahar" atop Jamalpur Hill, is a paleolithic site where quartzine from the Early and Middle Stone Ages was found.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.