Chinsurah is a town on the banks of the Hooghly river in the Hooghly district of the Indian state of West Bengal. It is often known by the name Hooghly-Chinsura or Chuchura. The town functions as the administrative headquarters of the Hooghly district. Chinsurah was a Dutch settlement prior to the Indian independence. Chinsurah was used as a base for trade in various commodities such as saltpeter, spices, cotton and indigo. The town of Chinsurah has nearly 3 lakh residents and Bengali is the most commonly used language. The town is connected to the nearby cities of Kolkata and Bardhaman through railway as it is situated on the Howrah-Bardhaman main line. The Grand Trunk Road or the G.T.Road passes through the town. Ferry services on River Hooghly connects Chinsurah to Naihati in the district of North 24 Parganas. Most of the residents of this town travel to the metro city of Kolkata for work. The District Court building at Chinsurah is known to be the longest building in the state. Chinsurah also has the oldest Armenian church in India. The Hooghly Imambara, the Edwardian clock tower called Ghorir More, the temple of Mahishmardini, the temple of Shandeshwar and the Bandel Church nearby are places worth visiting in Chinsurah. There are some famous educational institutions in Chinsurah - the Hooghly Mohsin college, Collegiate school, Don Bosco and Auxilium Convent are seats of profound education in this town.
The Federal Bank Limited or the Travancore Federal Bank Limited was incorporated on 28th April 1931 with an authorized capital of Rs.5000/- at Nedumpuram, a place near Tiruvalla in Central Travancore under the Travancore Companys Act. It started the business of auction and other banking transactions, connected with agriculture and industry. Shri K P Hormis and his close relatives or friends obtained a controlling interest in the Bank in 1944. On 26th January 1946, the Bank opened its second branch at Angamally. The Bank was licensed under Section 22 of the Banking Companies Act, 1949 on 11th July 1959. In 1970, the Bank got the license of a Scheduled Commercial Bank, which also coincided with the Silver Jubilee Year. In 1972, It witnessed expansion beyond the home state, and the Bank became an Authorised Dealer in Foreign Exchange in 1972. International Banking Department started functioning from Mumbai in 1973. Since then, the Bank could substantially increase its market share of the NRI business. In 1982, the International Banking Department of the bank was later moved to Cochin for centralization of activities. The Bank opened 53 branches during the year 1975 and 42 offices 1976. The total number of offices reached 276 from 114 in 1973. Commenced Merchant Banking Operations in 1989.